Knitting Obsession

WIPs, FOs, yarn drooling, and maybe some cats.

Name:
Location: Baltimore, MD

Thursday, August 03, 2006

I got back from sunny California on Tuesday night...much refreshed and in good spirits, only to walk smack headfirst into sweltering, boiling heat. I know that it isn't news to any of you. Also, it's pretty funny that most of us in blogland are coping with the heat by knitting wool or wool-ish socks....well, at least they aren't sweaters. I got my copy of "Vogue Knitting" today and started sweating as soon as I opened it and saw all of those sweaters. I have to say, the section on socks was terrific and awe-inspiring (arch shaping!) but I didn't see much in the way of garments that I would make....did like some of the "Grey's Anatomy" sweaters. My subscription is running out with my next issue and I need to decide if I should renew or not. I still like flipping through VK but have yet to REALLY WANT to knit something out of it (with the exception of one thing...tell you in a sec). So, loyal reader(s), should I renew? Give them one more year to impress me? California was terrific if only for the fact that my nephew is so darn awesome. It really tears me up that I can't spend more time with him. He is currently really into "Finding Nemo" and I think I want to knit him a bright orange sweater with black and white accent stripes for Christmas. His mother, my sister-in-law, is just taking up knitting so we brushed up her skills and I taught her how to knit in the round. She purchased a great pattern for felted fish and we got Nature Spun colors for Nemo, Dory, and Gill....it was fun. This all took place at Monarch Knitting and Quiltsin Pacific Grove (near Monterey)...this store is now my favorite California store (that dog! Sikora, I think...lays there like he's dead waiting for a belly rub. Works every time someone walks in). I nearly had a heart attack there...but I restrained myself and only bought one yarnivir: Schaefer Anne in such a fun colorway: This yarn took me by surprise when I saw it wound. On the skein the color repeats looked much longer but they are about 10 inches or so each. Will be so cool!! We also went to Uncommon Threads in Los Altos....my sister-in-law also wanted to learn how to knit hats and she wanted different wool for that. She has a great eye and went right for the Jamieson's. I spotted a Koigu colorway that was irresistible and some Lana Grossa Meilenweit in solid colors...have been wanting to try this yarn: Lest you think that all I did was shop, I did make progress on Mom's sock. I turned the heel (went much better this time) and am now working my way through the gussets: and I think it is going well. For my first pair of socks, not bad. Then!! Then, after a miserable flight and shuttle ride home, I checked my mail...what do I find but my contest prize from Kristen! Holy smokes! I was fondling Misti Alpaca for hours at Monarch! I couldn't believe my eyes. The color is perfect for me, and I think I know what I am going to knit out of it...Meg Swanson's lace scarf design from VK Fall 2005. I will need to pick up a contrast color (I'm thinking charcoal grey or a brown) and figure out gauge. Are these buttons the cutest?? Thanks Kristen! Hope your birthday was terrific. Stay cool and hydrated! ps....can you tell me what species of jellyfish that is at the beginning? I took the picture here but of course didn't write any names down.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Kristen said...

You are very welcome. I'm glad you like the yarn and buttons (which coincidentally tie in with your nautical-themed vacation!) How funny that your nephew is so into Nemo; a Nemo sweater would be adorable. You picked out some nice goodies in CA. As for the jellyfish, I have no idea but it is one cool photo. At first I thought it was planet Earth!

8/04/2006 10:15:00 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

That is so cool that you were just in CA! We will be in Monterey for only one day - it is a bus trip down from SF to go to the Aquarium, so I am not sure if we will have the chance to go anywhere else. When you say that the shop is "just down the road" from the Aquarium, how far is it, exactly? *curious*

The doggie is so cute!! :)

Thanks for commenting about it on my blog!

8/11/2006 10:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home