Knitting Obsession

WIPs, FOs, yarn drooling, and maybe some cats.

Name:
Location: Baltimore, MD

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Advice please!

So I have joined the Vintage Socks (by Nancy Bush) KAL and have started this month's socks, the Gentleman's Fancy Socks. I have the Anne called for in the pattern, which I really wanted to use, but it is highly variegated and I think it is obscuring the pattern. Should I bag this? The Anne cries out for a pretty basic rib or stocking pattern, which this is...but I don't know. I need help deciding. In the book, the example is so pretty and differentiated and with my crazy yarn it just isn't as "fancy." Not bad, just not fancy. What do you think? Rip it? I do have a mostly solid yarn from an ebay seller and one from sweetgeorgia yarns that could be alternates. Just would need to figure out gauge as these yarns are definitely not as fine as the Schaefer Anne. Good things:
  • I love the Anne. It is so nice to knit.
  • I now know that I love Inox grays.
Let me know what you think!

5 Comments:

Blogger OzKnitter said...

Hi Suzanne. Whilst your yarn is gorgeous, I think you're right in saying it's obscuring the pattern. Sadly, I say "rip it".

I made a pair in March with red/blue yarn (pic on my blog if you're interested in seeing a different colourway). It was a standard 4ply/fingering/sock yarn and I used 2.25mm needles, if that helps you figure out your gauge.

8/21/2006 12:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Kristen said...

I would rip it. (Easy for me to say now that I'm ripping out my Aran sweater back!) I agree that highly variegated yarns are best with a plain pattern, and that solids or lightly variegateds are best for patterned work.

8/21/2006 07:19:00 AM  
Blogger Hawkesley said...

The yarn is very lovely but it is hard to see the pattern. Maybe you could try the pattern with one of your other yarn choices?

8/21/2006 07:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Wendie said...

I'm in agreement with everyone else, the variegation makes it difficult to see the pattern. A yarn with more subtle colorways would do better I think.

8/27/2006 05:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Angela said...

I agree that you can't see the pattern. That yarn is lovely though. Perhaps just use it for a scarf? You could make a rib stitch scarf. Otherwise, everything looks nice!

8/28/2006 06:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home