Knitting Obsession

WIPs, FOs, yarn drooling, and maybe some cats.

Name:
Location: Baltimore, MD

Monday, July 10, 2006

What a terrific weekend!

This is a picture intensive post! First off, on Friday....well, maybe this isn't terrific. This is more like confusing as all heck. I as working away on the toe up sock on the 00 needles when I noticed a little something weird. Do you see it? It seems my gauge suddenly and spectacularly tightened up. There is a very clear demarcation where the stitches are much smaller and they stay that way. The gauge there was 9 sts/inch so I moved up to the 0 needles to keep 8 sts/inch...but the stitches still look tighter. I have a feeling I was knitting loosely for some reason when I was doing the toe and my brain turned back on suddenly on one row. I decided not to rip and try the toe again...after all, I will be trying the toe again soon on sock #2! But I will definitely start with the size 0 needles and make more of an effort to knit to my usual gauge. Brynn held still for the 2.5 seconds needed for her closeup: I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. Mine was certainly busy! I went to Yankee Fan's and on Saturday we drove up to Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park: If you look really closely you can see a eagle or hawk in the middle there looking for lunch. I choose to believe that it was an eagle but he didn't come close enough to us humans to tell for sure. These are some lovely wildflowers....or possibly weeds. Again, I don't know for sure, but I choose to believe they are lovely wildflowers. There were certainly a lot of bumblebees bumbling around in them. On Sunday, we went to the Nationals game where we watched in horror as they blew a 5 run lead, but were with my sister and her BF who then fed us a yummy BBQ so it was all good. Then, when I got home Sunday, it was to find this box of loveliness: This is a spectacular box of Sweet Georgia Handpainted sock yarn fresh from Vancouver....oh the joy!!! From left to right, this is saffron, mango, black orchid and river. Heavenly stuff!!!!!!The river and the black orchid are my favorites so far but only because I'm in a blue/purple mood. When I am ready for it, I will go wild for the gorgeous yellows and golds and oranges. My camera can't possibly capture the beauty but you hopefully get the idea. Now to find some patterns that will do these justice! I think I definitely want to try some of Nancy Bush's patterns so will look again through those. But I have to remember that I have 80 million projects on needles so should concentrate on those. Stitches East class registration is up now, so I have to think hard about which to take. I am leaning towards two color knitting with Sally Melville....I have to go Thursday or Friday as I am working that weekend. Which classes are you taking?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Kristen said...

Yikes, I see the gauge change. Maybe you put it down at one point and then your tension changed when you picked it up again. Or, it looks like the change came after the short rowing where you begin the plain stockinette. In any case, if it fits, just call it a design element! The toes will be inside your shoes anyway. Re: photos- great scenery, great yarns, and what a pretty kitty! Finally, you are so lucky to be right where Stitches East will be held. I won't be going, but will look forward to your report in the fall!

7/11/2006 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Hi! i live in Bel Air, MD. I signed up for the x and o class - combining lace and cables, and designing an aran sweater class. My friend Karen will be there as knitting doctor - stop by to see her. Linda

7/15/2006 05:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home